27 August 2011

Strang sorts of transitions

One of the most notable changes has nothing to do with the language, the money, the food...it's the washing machine. I have a washer in my apartment, but it has little resemblance to the standard washing machine. Here's how it works...

1. Put in a very small load.
2. Pour water into the washer using a bucket until clothes are covered.
3. Put in the soap.
4. Turn the dial to 15 minutes and wait.
5. When they are done washing, turn the dial to drain. The water then drains into the bathtub.
6. Transfer part of the load into the "dryer" part of the machine and let your clothes centrifuge the water off.
7. At this point, the clothes are about 60-80% dry depending on the fabric. So you then drape them around the apartment until they are completely or almost completely dry.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 until done.

That is doing laundry. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I'm psyched. It's actually a much quicker way to do laundry! This way, I don't have to leave my apartment to do laundry, and it's rather economical. And it's about the only thing that you use tap water for, aside from taking a shower or flushing the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment