15 February 2012

Mercado Municipal

I had my first experience with the "outdoor" market this week. It was rather by accident, but an very happy accident.

I told a motoconcho, one of the motorcycle taxis, that I wanted to go to a butcher because I wanted to buy some meat and a couple real bones for Libby. He looked a little confused and asked which one I wanted to go to. I shrugged and said, "I don't care. As long as it's a butcher."

We were going for a while and I just assumed that he was bringing me farhter away so he could charge me more, and asked, a little concerned if we were going to a "shop that sold meat" incase I has used the wrong word. He shook his head at me and was insistent that we were for sure going to a butcher.

A few minutes later, we entered the market. I recognized it not only because of the shear number of people selling fruits and vegetables on the street, but because I had passed it a couple times, always making a mental not to visit.

We were stopped for a while, blocked by a large truck, and I became impatient, opting to walk the last two blocks. I was directed down a muddy street that smelled strongly of a chicken coup in need of cleaning between two, one-story buildings that reminded me of warehouses.

I asked several times where I was supposed to go because there was no clear entrance. Each time I was directed into a small corridor that went into the building. My predominate thought was, "Of course I left my cell phone at home."

Once I entered the building, my suspicions were calmed as there before me were stall after stall of fruits, vegetables, and butchers. I also found a few stalls selling fish. One can buy any type of meat availible including goat, fish, chicken, beef, and pig. All of the meat is fresh, butchered that day.

I chose a couple cuts of meat and the butcher cut them up for me, wrapped them, and then turned back to grab a "pretty bag. Just like you."

All in all I got 3 pounds of bones, 4 red bell peppers (beautifully ripe), 1 pound of tomatoes, 4 red snapper, 2-3 pounds of back strap, and a mix of fresh herbs and hot peppers. All for under $15. And an adventure.

I've decided to buy all my meat and fresh produce there because the produce is vine ripened and the meat is, fo borrow from one of the fast food chains, fresh never frozen.
Sent via BlackBerry® device.

No comments:

Post a Comment