11 March 2012

Family

My family came here on Wednesday for a visit. I was going to wait patiently in San Pedro for them, but as Wednesday afternoon approached, waiting patiently was getting harder. So I decided to board the bus to the airport and surprise them by meeting them there. This was a little bit easier said then done. The buses don't run on a regular schedule, they wait at the bus stop and when they are filled the go. This doesn't take too long, but it's nerve wracking when you are sitting on an empty bus waiting for it to fill when you have people, who don't know you are coming, arriving at the airport in an hour and a half.

After about 15-20 minutes we were off and heading towards the capital. I asked the anunciador (or guy who takes your money) to let me know when to get off the bus. Once off the bus, I had to take a motoconcho (the motorcycle taxi) on the highway. It was one of the more terrifying things I've done this year! There is nothing quite so terrifying as gripping the back of a motorcycle while cars, trucks, buses, and semis pass you at practically the speed of sound.

Once arrived safely at the airport, I asked someone if there was a different exit for passengers that were going to rent a car. I was told that everyone exits through the same door.  But, because Dominicans will answer your question and give directions even if they don't know the answer, I asked someone else. I got the same answer. I was waiting, and waiting, and panicking, and panicking, hoping that my parents were indeed going to come out that exit. All I could think about was...No one knows where I'm at, my parents don't speak Spanish, I have their DR cell phone, and I have no way of getting a hold of them if they end up in San Pedro and I'm still waiting at the airport!

All my fears were to waste, because right after I asked another person about the exit, I saw my very tired family walking through the doors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment