25 October 2012

Vacation, New Semester, Hurricanes, etc.

I know it has been a really long time. No excuses!

In August, my good friend Danielle came to visit me. We went on vacation to Puerto Plata (in the north of the country) and stayed at an all inclusive resort for 4 days. It was amazing. We really didn't want to leave. The food was amazing and there were plenty of things to do, but we went during a hurricane so it rained the whole weekend. We also had to take the bus there, which was 4.5 hours. But the drive was beautiful. I live in a pretty flat part of the country, but we drove through the mountains. It made me want to move.


I started my last semester of easy classes. They make you take a lot of unnecessary classes here that they feel are requirements to being a doctor (they aren't). I am taking a couple useful classes this semester, so I'm not completely bored! The best class I'm taking is molecular biology, but it is taught out of the board review for the USMLE, so it is more like molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics all rolled into one class.  It requires a lot of studying, but I am learning so much. I am also doing really well in the class.

I feel like medical school is really where I am supposed to be because every new thing I learn makes me more and more excited to be a doctor. 



I've made a bunch of new friends this semester. Each semester I feel more and more at home here. It feels really nice to have found a place where I belong. I have always had really good friends everywhere I have lived, but I have never felt like I really belonged. Something was always missing. I'm not sure what it was, but whatever it is, I have found it here. At least for the time being!

So we have had a couple hurricanes this season. Right now we are just getting the rain bands from the hurricane, no the actual hurricane. Today, my roommates dog was getting spayed and so we wanted to see if it was done, but it was torrentially down poring  We drove down this one street and the water almost came up over the hood of my car. I felt like I was driving a duck boat! Then I had to wade through knee high water to actually get to the clinic. Fun times. 


Here is a picture of some of the flooding. This is in Santo Domingo. For the time being it has stopped raining, so it will give the water a chance to go down. But it is supposed to rain until Saturday. There is a little kid in my area that wants me to pay him to wash my car, which is totally fine, but he keeps coming right after it rains. I told him, "You can wash my car, just not when it's going to rain." So today he came and asked if he could wash it because it wasn't raining. I looked at him and said, "We're in the middle of a hurricane." He just laughed. 

In August, we (me, Isabel and Anthony) moved into a new house. It is super nice! They are building a gazebo and BBQ on our roof! Score!! It is three bedroom, three bath. It is pretty modern looking and newly remodeled. I have a bathroom in my room which is SO nice. It is a very bright house.

Our country is a couple hundred million dollars in debt, so they came up with a plan that is supposed to help somehow...haven't really figured it out yet. Everyday for a couple months, we have had scheduled black outs for three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon. Recently the switched it to only three hours in the morning. It was really inconvenient at first, but then we more or less got used to it. Thankfully, we have what is called a tinaco on our roof. It is basically a giant 300 gallon water tank that keeps us well watered when the power goes out. According to "official" statement, the black outs are supposed to end in December. I guess we'll see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment