07 January 2013

Travel Hitches

I had a wonderful Christmas with my family and friends from college.  Last year was a bit more stressful, but I think that it was a combination of the adjustment of moving to the Dominican Republic and then the adjustment of being back home again.  But this year, I had such a wonderful time. I wasn't ready to leave until just at the end.

I spent the majority of time with my parents in Ashland, but did spend a few days in Duluth. Everything went according to plan until the very, very end. To explain the last 24 hours, I need to back up a bit. Before leaving the Dominican Republic, one of the dogs decided that my passport looked particularly yummy (after the cat kindly knocked it to to the floor). The end result was a chunk of my signature page missing.

When I went through security and check-in at Santo Domingo, I got a few questions or remarks, but no one stopped me. When I checked in yesterday, the lady at the counter told me that my passport was invalid and that I wouldn't be able to fly. After talking with a supervisor, they booked me on a flight for the next day at no extra charge.

I spent the night in Minneapolis and went to the passport office today. It's amazing how fast they can get you a passport when you pay them enough! I got there at 9:45am and had a passport in hand at 2:45pm.

Even though this experience sucked and I felt like an idiot, it was really nice to get to spend some time with some friends from Ecuador. I am set to fly out in about an hour and will be back in the DR tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment